The sweetness at the bottom of the pie
The work The sweetness at the bottom of the pie represents a distinct intellectual or artistic creation found in South Whitley Community Public Library. This resource is a combination of several types including: Work, Language Material, Books.This resource has been enriched with EBSCO NoveList data.
The sweetness at the bottom of the pie
The work The sweetness at the bottom of the pie represents a distinct intellectual or artistic creation found in South Whitley Community Public Library. This resource is a combination of several types including: Work, Language Material, Books.
This resource has been enriched with EBSCO NoveList data.
- The sweetness at the bottom of the pie
- Statement of responsibility
- Alan Bradley
- true1950s -- 1950 -- 1959
- trueAdult books for young adults
- trueCanadian fiction
- trueDe Luce, Flavia (Fictitious character)
- De Luce, Flavia, (Fictitious character) -- Fiction
- Detective and mystery fiction
- Detectives -- England -- Fiction
- trueEleven-year-old girls
- England -- Fiction
- FICTION / Mystery & Detective / General
- trueFathers and daughters
- trueGirl detectives
- trueGirl scientists
- Motherless families -- Fiction
- trueMurder investigation
- Sisters -- Fiction
- trueStamp collecting
- In his wickedly brilliant first novel, Debut Dagger Award winner Alan Bradley introduces one of the most singular and engaging heroines in recent fiction: eleven-year-old Flavia de Luce, an aspiring chemist with a passion for poison. It is the summer of 1950-and a series of inexplicable events has struck Buckshaw, the decaying English mansion that Flavia's family calls home. A dead bird is found on the doorstep, a postage stamp bizarrely pinned to its beak. Hours later, Flavia finds a man lying in the cucumber patch and watches him as he takes his dying breath. For Flavia, who is both appalled and delighted, life begins in earnest when murder comes to Buckshaw. “I wish I could say I was afraid, but I wasn't. Quite the contrary. This was by far the most interesting thing that had ever happened to me in my entire life.” To Flavia the investigation is the stuff of science: full of possibilities, contradictions, and connections. Soon her father, a man raising his three daughters alone, is seized, accused of murder. And in a police cell, during a violent thunderstorm, Colonel de Luce tells his daughter an astounding story-of a schoolboy friendship turned ugly, of a priceless object that vanished in a bizarre and brazen act of thievery, of a Latin teacher who flung himself to his death from the school's tower thirty years before. Now Flavia is armed with more than enough knowledge to tie two distant deaths together, to examine new suspects, and begin a search that will lead her all the way to the King of England himself. Of this much the girl is sure: her father is innocent of murder-but protecting her and her sisters from something even worse...
- Agatha Award for Best First Novel, 2009.
- Arthur Ellis Award for Best First Novel, 2010.
- Dilys Award, 2010.
- Macavity Award for Best First Mystery Novel, 2010.
- Amelia Bloomer List, 2010
- YALSA Best Books for Young Adults, 2010
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- no index present
- LC call number
- LC item number
- S94 2009
- Literary form
- Series statement
- Flavia de Luce mystery
- Series volume
- Book 1]
- Target audience
ContextContext of The sweetness at the bottom of the pie
Select options that apply then copy and paste the RDF/HTML data fragment to include in your application
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Note: Adjust the width and height settings defined in the RDF/HTML code fragment to best match your requirements
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work The sweetness at the bottom of the pie
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.swhitley.lib.in.us/resource/0QCXuaKMS-s/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.swhitley.lib.in.us/resource/0QCXuaKMS-s/">The sweetness at the bottom of the pie</a></span> - <span property="potentialAction" typeOf="OrganizeAction"><span property="agent" typeof="LibrarySystem http://library.link/vocab/LibrarySystem" resource="http://link.swhitley.lib.in.us/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.swhitley.lib.in.us/">South Whitley Community Public Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>